The author of the question: Aleksandra Leukhina
1. This Russian Federation subject has the biggest number of first-order neighbours (9 members). Its name comes from the surname of famous revolutionary. Name the subject?
А) Primorye territory; B) Kirov region; C) Komi Republic; D) Kaliningrad region.
Answer: B) Kirov region
The author of the question: Fyodor Ivanchenko
А) The Urals; B) The Caucasus Mountains; C) The Altai Mountains; D) The Crimean Mountains.
Answer: А) The Urals
The author of the question: Eseniya Malyshenko
3. This is the largest subject of the Russian Federation. It is bigger than Argentina, the 8th largest country in the world. Choose this subject from the list.
А) Krasnoyarsk territory; B) Republic of Sakha (Yakutia); C) Chukotka Autonomous Area; D) Irkutsk region.
Answer: B) Republic of Sakha (Yakutia)
4. Bilibino is the town, named after the geologist, who also was the namesake of a famous painter. The town is surrounded by huge swamps and lakes for hundreds kilometers. One can get there either by air or ice road. That is why nuclear fuel for Bilibino Nuclear Power Plant is delivered by air. What is the number on the map of the Bilibino nuclear power plant?
А) 1; B) 2; C) 3; D) 4.
Answer: C) 3
5. The names of significant educational events often refer to historical and cultural identity of the region and emphasize its most outstanding features. What is the name of the art festival held in Kaliningrad twice a year?
Answer: А) Amber necklace
А) Seal hunting; B) Northern sea lion hunting; C) Deer hunting; D) Beluga whale hunting.
Answer: D) Beluga whale hunting
Answer: C) Vladivostok
8. In summer 2021 experts from RGS Underwater research center were about to find out the exact place of this battle: Raven stone mentioned in Chronicles was likely to have been found. What is name of this battle?
А) The Battle of Kulikovo; B) The Battle of Borodino; C) The Battle on the Ice; D) The Battle of Gangut.
Answer: C) The Battle on the Ice
The author of the question: Irina Chistyakova
9. The XIX century traveler after whom one of the RGS Golden medals was named. Being a student he traveled all over Spain and took part in the expedition to the Canary Islands, where he made his first scientific discovery: he discovered a new species of calcareous sponges and called it after the indigenous people of the Canary Islands — Guancha Blanca. Name this traveler.
Answer: B) Nicholas Miklouho-Maclay
10. The flag of which capital of Russian Federation subject can you see in the picture? This town was built during World War I as a transit port for military cargo transported to Russia. Choose this subject from the list.
Answer: А) Murmansk region
А) Azov; B) Black; C) White; D) Baltic.
Answer: B) Black
2. During the Great Patriotic War this peninsula, situated not far from the Norwegian border, had an important role for defense of Soviet polar region — it protected the entrance to the Kola Bay.
Poet Nikolai Bukin who took part in the events on the peninsula mentioned it in a song:
And the waves both moan and cry,
And they beat against the side of the ship…
Melted into a distant fog,
Our dear land.
Name the peninsula.
Answer: А) Rybachy Peninsula
Here rivers are born that tear mountain asunder
And landslides begin with a crash as of thunder.
Here float solemn storm-clouds; and through them cascade
Swift torrents of water; they plunge o'er the edges
Of great, naked cliffs and spill down to the ledges
That patches of moss and dry brushwood invade.
Beneath spread green groves, lush with herbs and sweet-scented
Where birds dwell in peace and where deer browse, contented.
What pattern in nature was described by the poet?
А) The natural water cycle;
B) High-altitude zone;
C) Latitudinal zonation;
Answer: B) High-altitude zone
А) Arkhangelsk; B) Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky; C) Cherepovets; D) Nakhodka.
Answer: А) Arkhangelsk
5. There is a fragment from “Ethnographic description of the peoples in Russia” by Gustave Theodor Pauly. Edition of 1862 is kept in RGS library.:
"Although [they] have separated from the Turkic and the Tatar, they belong to the same family; they all lead a nomadic lifestyle and differ from their neighbours in their noble character and warlike spirit. [They] are almost all baptized, but their ideas about Christianity are extremely incomplete, and absolutely absurd prejudices reign among them... As with other neighboring peoples, shamans acted as privileged intermediaries between gods, spirits and people." What is the name of the folk?
Answer: D) The Yakuts
6. We are used to perceiving territories with colder winters as located closer to the north, but due to the peculiarities of the circulation of air masses on the territory of Russia, this rule is often violated, and our "mental" map diverges from the real one. Which cities of the listed pairs are located within the same degree of latitude?
А) Moscow — Krasnoyarsk ;
B) Vladivostok — Yekaterinburg;
Answer: А) Moscow — Krasnoyarsk
7. During the First Russian round-the-world expedition of 1803-1806 under the command of I.F. Kruzenshtern and Yu.F. Lisyansky, in addition to maps of the studied lands, engravings of coastal views were created that helped subsequent travelers navigate the terrain. One of them depicts the area that Kruzenshtern described in his diary as:"... the valley where we discovered the Tatar village would be especially convenient for the establishment of a colony. This place has a charming appearance. The grass is thick and tall everywhere. The hills and mountains surrounding the valley are covered with the most beautiful pine forest. What is the name of the island?
Answer: C) Sakhalin
A) River otter; B) Skunk; C) The Russian desman; D) Badger.
Answer: C) The Russian desman
A) Sunflower seeds; B) Pine nuts; C) Pumpkin seeds; D) Walnuts.
Answer: B) Pine nuts
А) Lime tree; B) Larch; C) Birch; D) Oak.
Answer: B) Larch
The author of the question: Kirill Likhachev
11. Match the name of a professional hockey team and the city where it is based.
1) «Neftekhimik»; 2) «Salawat Yulayev»; 3) «Amur»; 4) «Severstal».
А) Khabarovsk; B) Nizhnekamsk; C) Cherepovets; D) Ufa.
Answer: B) 1B, 2D, 3А, 4C
А) Khasan; B) Uvs Nuur; C) Khanka; D) Zaysan.
Answer: C) Khanka
The author of the question: Ekaterina Vesnintseva
13. There are cities in Russia that have been granted the status of federal importance, such as Moscow, St. Petersburg, Sevastopol. But there is another city of federal significance, which is endowed with the appropriate status for the period of its Russian lease until 2050. Choose it from the list.
Answer: C) Baikonur
A) Emerald; B) Asbestos; C) Sapphire; D) Malachite.
Answer: B) Asbestos
А) A ruling pen; B) A bathyscaphe; C) A weather balloon; D) A gas holder.
Answer: D) A gas holder
А) A canyon; B) Delle; C) Alas; D) A glen.
Answer: C) Alas
A) Yekaterinburg; B) Moscow; C) Novosibirsk; D) Nizhny Novgorod.
Answer: C) Novosibirsk
The question was granted by PJSC Gazprom
18. Two of the world's longest export offshore gas pipelines have been laid along the bottom of this sea. At the same time, they are part of the shortest route for the supply of Russian natural gas from the Yamal Peninsula to Europe. In which sea are these pipelines located?
A) Kara; B) Baltic; C) Black; D) Mediterranean.
Answer: B) Baltic
19. In 1767, Catherine the Great traveled along the Volga from Tver to Simbirsk to get acquainted with the situation in the Volga region. Choose the correct sequence of visits to cities by the Empress.
А) Moscow — Vyatka — Simbirsk — Saratov;
B) Astrakhan — Tver — Volgograd — Kazan;
D) Uglich — Yaroslavl — Gorodets — Cheboksary.
Answer: D) Uglich — Yaroslavl — Gorodets — Cheboksary
20. This modern administrative center was founded in the XVI century and is considered the cradle of the Russian Navy. In July 1942 - January 1943, the front line ran along the river of the same name right through the city. In 2012, it became the 15th city with more than one million population in the Russian Federation. Choose it from the list.
Answer: C) Voronezh
А) Eskimo; B) The Selkup; C) The Ingush; D) Votians.
Answer: B) The Selkup
22. In the Far East of Russia, one can observe a unique "river phenomenon" — bifurcation, or separation of the riverbed. As a result , this happens on the Delkyu River:
А) It flows into two oceans;
B) It does not freeze during the winter;
C) All plants become extinct;
Answer: А) It flows into two oceans
А) Vladimir Lenin; B) Gleb Krzhizhanovsky; C) Felix Dzerzhinsky; D) Lev Berg.
Answer: B) Gleb Krzhizhanovsky
24. This Buryat city, founded in the first third of the XVIII century, has long been one of the most important trade centers of the Russian Empire, the capital of the "Tea Way", the starting and ending point of many expeditions of the Russian Geographical Society. In 2020, on the occasion of the 175th anniversary of the RGS, a monument to the "Explorers and Discoverers of Central Asia" was opened there. Choose it from the list.
Answer: B) Kyakhta
А) Belgorod; B) Maykop; C) Saransk; D) Cheboksary.
Answer: B) Maykop
The author of the question: Gleb Vinogradov
26. In 2012, a monument to Russian sailors who rescue people from the ruins was erected in this Italian city on the island of Sicily. On the pedestal is written: "To Russian sailors, heroes of mercy and self-sacrifice." Choose a city from the list.
А) Naples; B) Messina; C) Venice; D) Florence.
Answer: B) Messina
27. In 1901, travelers Gombojab Tsybikov and Ovshe Norzunov, on behalf of the Russian Geographical Society, visited Lhasa, the capital of then-independent Tibet. Risking their lives, the travelers managed to be among the first in the world to bring IT from there... What exactly?
A) Buddhist praying drum ; B) Photographs; C) Lhasa Apso dog; D) Books in Tibetan.
Answer: B) Photographs
The author of the question: Tamara Ivanova
28. This Russian Admiral, the member of the Russian Geographical Society, concluded in 1855 the first diplomatic agreement between the Russian Empire and Japan — the Treaty of Shimoda. The expedition during which the agreement was concluded is described in Ivan Goncharov's book "Frigate Pallada". Almost the namesake of the admiral appears among the characters of N.A.Nekrasov's poem "Who Is Happy in Russia?". Choose it from the list
Answer: C) Yevfimiy Putyatin
A) Leningrad Region; B) Moscow Region; C) Kaliningrad Region; D) Republic of Altai.
Answer: C) Kaliningrad Region
30. Between the basins of which rivers did the traveler Pyotr Kuzmich Kozlov discover the watershed mountain range in the east of the Tibetan Plateau, which was named after the Russian Geographical Society?
А) The Mekong and the Yangtze;
B) The Tigris and the Euphrates;
C) The Indus and the Ganges;
D) The Amu Darya and the Syr Darya.
Answer: А) The Mekong and the Yangtze