1. What does form the ice reefs/toros?
2. By what sea can you get to Russia from Poland?
Answer: BALTIC SEA
3. Look at this monument. The mark minus 71.2 degrees Celsius is allocated on a scale of the thermometer. Choose from the list the geographical object where this monument is situated.
4. The leader of the expedition sent by Peter the First to Siberia named this place "Fire-breathing mountain". Deposits which are composed Kuznetsk basin have been exploring here today. What is being extracted here?
5. In 1901 Mikhail Nesterov took a journey to White Sea. On the masterpiece you see in front of you, the artist painted the archipelago which he visited on this journey. Select the name of archipelago from the list.
A) Commander Islands;
B) Solovetsky Islands;
C) Franz Joseph Land;
D) Northern Land (Severnaya Zemlya)
Answer: SOLOVETSKY ISLANDS
6. Which of the rivers listed below is not a tributary of the Volga?
7. Territory of which constituent units of the Russian Federation is not crossed by Arctic Circle?
A) Murmansk region;
B) Chukotka Autonomous District;
C) Novgorod region;
D) Nenets Autonomous District.
Answer: NOVGOROD REGION
8. In which mountains do the Chuya, Biya and Katun Rivers spring up?
Answer: ALTAI MOUNTAINS
9. Which manmade object used for scientific purposes on the Kola (Kolsky) Peninsula is listed in the Guinness Book of Records?
10. Which of these cities has less than a million inhabitants?
1. What book of the Honorary President of the Geographical Society of the USSR Vladimir Athanasievich Obruchev, written in 1973, has become the plot of the adventure film about the searching of the legendary ghost island, with Vladislav Dvorzhetsky and Oleg Dahl in the lead roles?
Answer: "THE LAND OF SANNIKOV"
2. Which of the lakes, partly located in the Pskov region, is called Peipsi (Peipus) in Estonia?
A) Chudskoye lake;
B) Onega (Onezhskoye) lake;
C) Mirror (Zerkalnoye) lake;
D) Ladoga (Ladozhskoye) lake.
Answer: CHUDSKOYE LAKE
3. By what name is also known the river, to which the Bashkir poet Salyakh Kulibai devoted the lines:
Green bed of meadows,
Thin band of coastland,
Where does Agidel strike
The pearls of white sand?
Answer: WHITE (BELAYA) RIVER
4. Where more than 50% of explored Russian reserves of peat are concentrated?
Answer: WESTERN SIBERIA
5. The indigenous people of which Russian region were used to be called the Ostyaks and Voguls?
Answer: KHANTY-MANSIYSK AUTONOMOUS DISTRICT
6. The film "The Great Northern Way", about the Russian pathfinder who came a long way from Arkhangelsk to Anadyr was produced in 2018 with the support of the Russian Geographical Society. Select the name of this pathfinder from the list.
A) Alexander Kolchak;
B) Semyon Dezhnev;
C) Boris Vilkitsky;
D) Alexander Sibiryakov.
Answer: SEMYON DEZHNEV
7. Where is the abyssal zone situated?
Answer: IN WORLD OCEAN
8. What was found in 1993 on the Ukok Plateau in the Republic of Altai, near the Russian border with China, Mongolia and Kazakhstan?
Answer: MUMMY WITH REMAINING TATTOOS
9. Which of listed Russian nation does call its traditional dwelling “yurta”?
10. Father was a Russian circumnavigator who made his famous journey between 1803 and 1806. Son Pavel was a geographer, winner of the Demidovsky Prize for the book "Scientific observations on the travelling to the Pechora region in 1843". What was the family name of the father and the son?
11. By which feature the Throat of Barlog - a cave named after the character of the novel "Lord of the Rings" – does lead in Russia?
Answer: THE DEEPEST
12. This fearless and aggressive beast is inhabitant of taiga and forest-tundra throughout Russia. Most of the life he spends alone, climbing trees as well as running the ground. He is the only representative species of the biologic genus whose name translates as "fill-belly". What is this animal?
13. There is a list of Russian cities in front of you. Select the cities located in Asia.
1) Krasnoyarsk; 2) Kazan; 3) Yakutsk; 4) Astrakhan; 5) Murmansk; 6) Norilsk; 7) Volgograd; 8) Abakan
Answer: 1, 3, 6, 8
14. Lake Elgygytgyn on Chukotka sometimes is called the round lake of Russia. And what did cause the occurrence of the crater, where the lake is located, more than 3.5 million years ago?
15. The forth part of more than 400 objects found in the territory of the Arkhangelsk region, is located within the Pinega nature reserve – “the Great Refrigerator”, “the Snow Queen 's Palace”, “the Mirror” - are among these objects. What these objects are?
16. Where did Admiral Stepan Makarov - a member of the Russian Geographical Society - take journey on the icebreaker Yermak, construction of which he took part?
Answer: TO THE FRANZ JOSEPH LAND
17. This city is located at the junction of the Ural and Siberia, on both banks of the Miass River. Oleg Mityayev, who born there, has called it "dressed by blue-gray smog" in one of his song. What this city is?
18. The image of the crown on the coat of arms appeared after the accession of the khanate to Russia in 1556, and the naked sword symbolizes the protection of the southern borders of the state. Select the city whose coat of arms is represented in the image.
19. The ice breaker keeps the course from Severomorsk to Anadyr. In what sequence it will pass these objects?
1) New Land (Novaya Zemlya); 2) Northern Land (Severnaya Zemlya); 3) Wrangel Island; 4) New Siberia Islands.
Answer: 1, 2, 4, 3
20. What sign on topographic maps does indicate the operating mine or day-drift?
21. In the 19th century on the Ural near the field deposit of a mineral there was the settlement named Kudel’ka (Little flax noil). Afterwards this settlement was renamed after this mineral. Now it is the city in Sverdlovsk region. Select the name of this city from the list.
A) Apatity (Apatites);
B) Asbest (Earth-flax);
C) Slantsy (Shale);
Answer: ASBEST (EARTH-FLEX)
22. Which crops do occupy almost 60% of all cultivation areas in Russia?
23. Guide-books promise travelers amazing sunsets over lakes, raging waterfalls and wooden churches cut down without a single nail. Here you can find rock drawings, ancient churches and mineral springs. What region of Russia is talking about?
Answer: REPUBLIC OF KARELIA
24. Four constituent entities of the Russian Federation, which are part of the Siberian Federal District - Omsk Region, Republic of Altai, Krasnoyarsk Region, Irkutsk Region – indicated on the map under letters A, B, C, D. Under what letter is Irkutsk region indicated?
25. The first Youth Club of the Russian Geographical Society on the basis of the natural reserve was opened under the state nature biosphere reserve “Katunsky” (“Katun”). In which constituent entity of the Russian Federation is this nature reserve located?
Answer: AlLTAI REPUBLIC
26. This year marks the 250-year anniversary of the birth of the Honorary Member of the Russian Geographical Society, famous German traveler Alexander von Humboldt. A mountain on the Ural is named after Humboldt, as well as a ridge in China opened by the Russian explorer. What is the name of this explorer?
Answer: NIKOLAI PRZEWALSKI
27. Regular contest of the Russian Geographical Society "The most beautiful country" took place in 2019. Choose the constituent units of the Russian Federation, where the contest picture named "Musk-oxen" was taken?
A) Murmansk region;
B) Kamchatka region;
C) Republic of Buryatia;
D) Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous District.
Answer: YAMALO-NENETS AUTONOMOUS DISTRICT
28. This 2019 marks the 200-year anniversary of the First Russian Antarctic Expedition led by Faddey Bellingshausen and Mikhail Lazarev. 29 days after leaving Kronshtadt, Faddey Bellingshausen arranged a celebration on board his sloop "Vostok" (“East”), which professor of astronomy Ivan Simonov, the expedition participant, has called "a small imitation of folk Maslenitsa" (“Carnival”). What was the holiday cause by?
Answer: THE EXPEDITION HAS CROSSED THE EQUATOR
29. Due to its location, the Bilibino nuclear power plant is considered unique. Where is it situated?
Answer: IN THE PERMAFROST AREA
30. Having visited the Ural cossacks in the Berda village, proclaimed the capital by Emelian Pugachev, Pushkin made the record: "In Berda Pugachev was popular; his cossacks did not offend anyone". Now Berda has become the part of the regional center. Select it from the list.